Forest Bathing Retreat
Friday 22 – Sunday 24 July | BOOK NOW
Bundanon is partnering with Experience Nature to offer a winter Forest Bathing Retreat. This retreat coincides with Bundanon’s new exhibition season featuring Arthur Boyd: Landscape of the Soul, in conversation with a series of paintings by Yuin artist Uncle Ben Brown (Reuben Ernest Brown) and a new installation by Tim Georgeson and William Barton.
Integrating forest bathing (shinrin-yoku) practices with meditation and gentle yoga, you will spend time in the beautiful bushlands of this property and see the landscapes Arthur Boyd drew his inspiration from. This holistic wellness retreat is for anyone who has the desire to reset, rejuvenate, nourish, heal, transform or to just take a mini break from the busyness of the everyday.
Literally translated as ‘forest bathing’, the Japanese practice of shinrin-yoku is based on a simple premise: immerse yourself in the forest, absorb its sights, sounds, and smells, and you will reap numerous psychological and physiological benefits. Facilitator Christie Little is a certified Nature Therapy Guide (Association of Nature and Forest Therapy, USA), a holistic psychotherapist, and an experienced retreat facilitator. Forest bathing is a great way to invite listening, healing, reflection and accepting into our environment in a low impact way. Learn how to find yourself in the company of trees or more succinctly master the practice of creating physical and psychological wellness through immersion in the natural environment during our two-night, three-day Forest Bathing Retreat.
The Discover Bundanon package is a year-round introduction to everything Bundanon has to offer. Spend the weekend immersed in the stunning natural landscape with an experience package including two nights’ accommodation at the Bridge, fine dining and a tour of the opening exhibition, featuring twelve new commissions from Australian contemporary artists, alongside the drawings of Arthur Boyd.
Friday 6 – Sunday 8 May 2022 | SOLD OUT
Friday 10 –Sunday 12 June 2022 | SOLD OUT
Friday 8 – Sunday 10 July 2022 | SOLD OUT
Friday 19 – Sunday 21 August 2022 | SOLD OUT
COVID-19 booking policy
Accommodation packages are available to guests who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid medical exemption.
For your peace of mind and for the safety of our visitors, Bundanon will either move your booking to a future date or hold the amount paid as credit if you are unable to complete your stay at Bundanon due to any of the following COVID-19 related scenarios:
- You have tested positive for COVID-19 within the 14 days before your arrival
- Due to a government-mandated border closure or travel restriction, you can no longer access Bundanon
- You have been instructed by health authorities to isolate at home
Dates must be rescheduled within 12 months of the original booking and credits can be held for up to 12 months. Please see the full terms and conditions below for more information.
Please note that if you are required to reschedule due to COVID-19, Bundanon will require documentation that supports the need to change your reservation. If evidence cannot be provided, the original terms and conditions apply.
Terms and Conditions
- Payment is required in full by credit card at the time of booking
Pandemic Advice (COVID-19)
- Accommodation packages are only available to guests who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid medical exemption.
- Should a government mandated intrastate or interstate travel restriction, or lockdown be enforced that prevents you from travelling on your booked date, we will move your booking to a future date within 12 months, with no penalty. If you do not have a future date in mind, we will hold the amount paid as credit to be used within 18 months. If you wish to cancel your booking and not transfer to another date, you will forfeit 100% of the booking charge.
- Full payment is required to secure your booking and payments are non-refundable. Should you decide to cancel within 21 days of your arrival, you will forfeit 100% of the booking charge. All cancellations must be received in writing. If you choose to cancel with more than 21 days’ notice, you may choose to transfer your booking to an alternate available date. If no alternate dates are currently bookable, you will be issued a credit voucher to use within 18 months from the original stay dates.
- Bundanon reserves the right to cancel experience programs at any time due to unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters or insufficient demand. In this instance a full refund will be issued
- Only alcohol purchased onsite or included as part of your experience packages may be consumed at Bundanon.
- No pets are allowed on Bundanon property as it is a wildlife reserve. The only exception to this is service animals.
- Bundanon experiences are non-smoking events. Cleaning fees will apply if this policy is not upheld.
- Guests must be 18 years or older to book an experience package and must present valid photo identification matching booking details during check-in
- Minors can accompany an adult, please inform Bundanon in advance if travelling with children
Damage & Liability
- You will be invoiced by Bundanon for any damage to property, equipment, buildings, artworks or grounds arising from your visit.
- Vehicles remaining on site overnight must be parked in designated parking areas at owners’ risk
- If you are asked to leave the property due to anti-social behaviour, no refund will be issued.
- Swimming in the river is not allowed by anyone visiting Bundanon.
- Two nights’ accommodation for either one or two adults
- Rooms supplied with full linen and towels
- Drinks on arrival
- Friday night three course dinners with drinks
- Saturday night buffet-style dinner with drinks
- Two buffet continental breakfasts
- Picnic lunch
- Art Museum tour
What to bring
- Toiletries: please bring everything you need with you
- All-weather clothing: to ensure your en plein air experience is comfortable, bring warm clothes, a hat and sunscreen
- Sturdy shoes: If you wish to explore the property or go bushwalking, bring sturdy enclosed shoes
- Water bottle: We aim to be a plastic-free site, please bring a refillable water bottle to help reduce plastic at Bundanon
About the Bridge
In the spirit of Arthur Boyd’s preferred painting practice, en plein air, the sleeping quarters at the Bridge are designed so that you can experience the climate of Bundanon, in all its daily and seasonal variation. Feel the breeze, filter the sun, retreat into shade, hear the rain (frogs too). Just how much is up to you.
Simply designed, rooms can be made up with a king bed or two singles and each has its own bathroom. All rooms offer views of the surrounding landscape. Accessible rooms are available.
Designed by Kerstin Thompson Architects, the Bridge encompasses Bundanon’s net zero ambitions. Powered by solar panels it incorporates exemplary sustainability features including passive temperature management, black water treatment, harvesting and storing of rainwater, local materials throughout and a reduced reliance on fossil fuel sources.
Each room features:
- Ensuite bathroom
- Option for king size bed or two single beds
- Ceiling fan
- Small desk
- Towels and linens
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I book a room for a different date, or outside of a package?
Bundanon does not function like a hotel. Guests are offered the opportunity to stay as part of packages that include catering and cultural experiences.
When will more stay dates be announced?
We hope to announce new dates soon, subscribe to our eNews to be notified when they go live.
How much do the packages cost?
Please see individual event web pages for pricing and inclusions. Rates are quoted in Australian dollars and are inclusive of GST. Tariffs are per room for two nights and can be booked as a single or couple (all rooms can be set as a king or two king single beds).
What if COVID-19 travel restrictions or lockdowns coincide with my booking?
If you are unable to complete your stay at Bundanon due to any of the following COVID-19 related scenarios, Bundanon will either move your booking to a future date within 12 months or hold the amount paid as credit for up to 12 months: you have tested positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of your arrival, you can no longer access Bundanon due to a government-mandated border closure or travel restriction, or you have been instructed by health authorities to isolate at home. Please note that if you are required to reschedule due to COVID, Bundanon will require documentation that supports the need to change your reservation. If evidence cannot be provided, the original terms and conditions apply. If you wish to cancel your booking, Bundanon’s full cancellation fee will apply.
Is Bundanon accessible?
The new Bridge and Art Museum are wheelchair accessible and there are two accessible bedrooms available, both with wheelchair accessible bathrooms. There are designated accessible parking spaces available outside the Bridge and Art Museum.
Arthur Boyd’s Studio and the ground floor of the Homestead are wheelchair accessible. There is a staircase inside the Homestead and uneven ground in the visitor carpark and throughout the site. There is no opportunity to sit down within the Homestead or Studio as the furniture is original and fragile, however there is seating available inside the Homestead kitchen.
Guide dogs and assistance animals are allowed on Bundanon properties.
Can I bring my family?
The Bridge bedrooms have been designed to accommodate a maximum of two adults and the experience packages currently on offer have been designed for adults. However, guests are welcome to bring their own porta cot for a child under two, or an older child can accompany a single adult if the child is supervised during the entire stay. Please indicate when booking if traveling with children to ensure we can accommodate your requests.
Can I book with a friend or travel solo?
All rooms can be set as a king or two king single beds. You will be able to select your preference when booking.
Can I bring my pet?
Bundanon is a wildlife refuge, surrounded by substantial areas of natural bush supporting many threatened native species. Guide dogs and assistance animals are allowed on Bundanon properties. All other domestic animals are not permitted.
What time is check-in and check-out?
Standard check-in is 4-6pm and standard check-out is 11am. However, please refer to your itinerary before and during your visit as check-in and check-out times may vary. If you are arriving later than 6pm, Bundanon must be informed in advance.
Are the Homestead and Arthur Boyd’s Studio at the same site as the Bridge and the Art Museum?
No, they are located at two separate sites.
The Bridge and the Art Museum are located at 170 Riversdale Road, Illaroo, accessible by a 3km sealed road.
The Homestead and Arthur Boyd’s Studio are located at 533 Bundanon Road, Illaroo, accessible by 13km unsealed road which winds its way through bushland, descending to the Shoalhaven River basin.
It takes approximately 20 minutes to drive between the two sites.
More dates coming soon
Subscribe to hear when new dates are available.