The Singleman’s Hut at Bundanon is reported to have been originally built as a dwelling for an Aboriginal employee. 
It was built after the Homestead was completed, in the early 1870s.
Located across the lagoon, it provided permanent accommodation for one person, originally there was a second identical room for overnight visiting workers. Each room held an iron bed and mattress, table, billy can and pannikin (tin mug), cutlery, tea and sugar and tin of biscuits; a built-in timber cupboard at the side of each fireplace provided storage.
The Singleman’s Hut, with stone fireplace and chimney, was built above the high flood level of 1870 (and therefore the previous flood of 1860) as was the main house. The structure displays good workmanship and displays similar masonry techniques to those used in the homestead.
 According to Elinor [Dillon, great-granddaughter of Dr Mackenzie] the Singleman’s Hut was originally built for an Aboriginal man who worked on the property. (Personal communication with Elinor Dillon [nee Rothwell, and daughter of Julia Edith Mackenzie and John Rothwell, born 1907]). The Bundanon Trust Properties, Heritage Management Plan, 2007, Vol 2 of 3, page 15. Prepared by Peter Freeman.